Monday, February 4, 2013

Round or Rectangle Dining Table: Yay or Nay?

There are so many shapes and sizes of dining tables. But which one is right for you? I've been salivating over round tables ever since I saw one in a show house years ago. And am (patiently) waiting for the day that I have a dining room to accommodate one. To me, they are an unexpected design element and removes the "head of the table" BS.

The look of your table is very important, of course, but making sure it fits your space and provides enough seating is also critical. For example, my dining table came with six chairs, but it is T-I-G-H-T when there are six adults around that table. Talk about rubbing elbows. As a reference point, it is recommended to have two feet of dining space per person, just FYI.

Your table needs to allow for the number of diners you want to seat comfortably and still leave enough room for to walk around it. According to Houzz.com, the width of your table should be at least 36 inches wide so there is ample space for place settings as well as food. Typically, as the table length increases, so does the width of the table top.


a little (rectangle) country
Go a step further and add a banquette - or a bench! (Just don't ask me to sit on the bench for an entire dinner party - my booty will thank you.)

aww, a tulip table

and more tulip

unknown

rectangle drama

Sarah Jessica Parker's dining room

Mary McDonald

I <3 Mary McDonald

Try mis-matched chairs!

Like I said, there is lots to consider when selecting a table. Check out these do's and don'ts from Elle Decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment