Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Preppy Home

I grew up in a home with an all-American, preppy style and feel. Mixed with antiques that my mom collected from near and far, I now know that this is a decorator's look steeped in history and which remains timeless today. While my house was adorned with wood accents and matching mallards, other preppsters might opt for more pastels and paisley. Regardless, here is what I consider essentials for a truly preppy home — even if you don't have a membership to the local country club. 


A set of encyclopedias. We couldn't get our parents to invest in a set of Britannica's - and I'm glad they didn't because they would probably be in the attic today gathering dust - so my brother and I would trek over to our neighbor's house to use their set when our homework required it. 

via
Silhouetted portraits. Something about these have charmed me forever. I have long adored silhouettes, especially for kids, and they never go out of style. You can find plenty of Etsy shops that will do this type of artwork, or learn to DIY

Country Living
Vintage tennis rackets. Hang them on your walls or add one to your umbrella stand. Nothing says preppy like a vintage tennis racket or golf club. They sure don't make 'em like they used to.

Whitcomb and Company
Tartan throw. A lot of people reserve their red tartan plaid throws for the holidays, but I think they can carry you through the entire winter season. Originating in Scotland, the Dress Act of 1746 attempted to bring the warrior clans under government control by banning this tartan plaid. When the law was repealed in 1782, it was no longer ordinary Highland dress, but was adopted instead as the symbolic national dress of Scotland (Wikipedia). Today, you can find tartan wallpaper, tartan carpet and even tartan bedding. Little boys room anyone? Just don't use all three at once.

unknown

Paisley. When I think of paisley, my brain immediately goes to Lilly Pulitzer. I credit her with making this pattern so chic and timeless. While this isn't exactly paisley, it's Lilly's home line currently at Garnet Hill. Go check it out!


Monogrammed towels. OK, monogrammed anything! Nothing says "preppy" more than monogrammed pillows, bedding, towels, handbags, jewelry, napkins, linen coasters, soaps, and the list goes on. It's e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. I don't mind monogram initials, but don't particularly care for full monogrammed names on things. There's just something about strangers knowing my name without even talking to me. 

Pinterest
Nautical. I've seen this theme with baby boy nurseries a lot lately (Ahem... Guiliana & Bill Rancic). But beware, it can feel overdone very quickly. These two rooms below have done a nice job at subtlety, yet have kept the nauticalness (don't think that's a word, but you catch my drift) alive.

via

via
Equestrian. Next to dogs, horses are my next favorite animal. Their muscular builds and (usually) calm demeanor make them beautiful creatures. Although I've never understood how they can sleep standing up! Equestrian boots made a huge splash in the fashion world this fall. But carrying that trend over to your home can be a bit more tricky. Here's some inspiration to help you create your preppy equestrian home: utilize accessories like horse statues, book ends and pillows or go big and bold bold with over-sized art. Just no horsing around (sorry, I couldn't resist). 

via
via

Mallards. Well, I call them ducks. We had lots of ducks in our house growing up. Ducks on the mantels, next to the fireplace, duck pillows, drawings of ducks, and other duck artwork. While they are pretty, but I'm not a huge fan, I actually don't see as many these days in homes. If you're in the market though, there are a ton of hand-painted ducks (new and old) over on Etsy, and also these limited-edition cuties at Orvis.com
Orvis
Vintage trunks and suitcases. Most pieces of vintage luggage can be turned into a preppy home accent. There are great fabrics and designs in old luggage, and many are still in good shape, so why not showcase it as part of you home decor instead of hiding it in a closet? A vintage suitcase was passed down to me from my grandmother. It's small, yet wouldn't fit into today's overhead compartment (I tried), so now I'm thinking of using it as decoration. Creating a side table, coffee table or entrance table with these treasures is a stylish and functional idea! See???

Apartment Therapy

Apartment Therapy


No comments:

Post a Comment